The Kimchi Chronicles: The London Years

Jen's slightly less exciting post-Korea life: living, studying and working in London.

Sunday 10 September 2006

Silly Splinty Jeni

That would be me. On a hospital bed, in the emergency room of a hospital in Daegu. Ha! I had a little accident on Friday night, twisted my ankle a bit, and when I got up yesterday morning, one ankle was about three times the size of the other. So the lovely folk I was with got me to the hospital, where I was X-rayed and treated fairly quickly, and cheaply (compared to the US). I don't believe you've truly explored a country until you experience its health system, so I know Korea well now! Had to buy my own crutches as the hospital didn't have any tall enough for me, so if anyone ever needs a pair, I can help you out!

It's a bit of an inconvenience, and such a silly thing to happen, but what's done is done, and there's no point moaning about it. So I spent most of yesterday laughing at myself for being so stupid! And the people with me were good natured and oh so helpful - they just laughed at me all day too - and that made things a little easier.

I had intended on being Daegu for the whole weekend, but the big heavy splint on my leg and the crutches brought an end to that idea. It was a bit difficult negotiating busy city streets. And Korea love their stairs, so it was a challenge! In fact, it will be a bit of a challenge at school: it has many, many stairs! Our office is on the second floor and there are half floors and I've got classes on all floors, and there's no lift! Ah twill be fun, and it'll give me something to talk about in the many more introductions I have to do this week.

So, Daegu, looked quite fun, lots to do. It's only 30 minutes away by train, and the fare is stupidly cheap, so it's within commuting distance. I think I'm going to look into what's going on down there - much more than up here in Gumi anyway. It's the third largest city in Korea, so there's definitely more happening.

So that's about my only story for the weekend. Except for Phil's incredibly drunk co-teachers who were performing that lecherous inebriated Korean older man routine. Funny though. I spent today resting my leg, and I've managed to get hold of Scrubs season four, so I had a bit of a Scrubs marathon today. Awesome. Tony was kind enough to bring me dinner, as I had been planning to go food shopping today, but that proved too awkward. In fact, a lot of things have been put on hold for a while. Sure tis grand, I've got a year, right?

Silly, silly Jeni. I shouldn't be allowed out, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home